Chief Operating Officer
POSITION SUMMARY: The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will lead Safe Haven Family Shelter’s finance, operations (including HR), and program functions. The COO is also responsible for leading and managing Safe Haven Family Shelter’s financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall strategy. The COO will lead all financial administration, business planning, HR and budgeting. As a member of the senior leadership team, the COO will work closely with several committees of the board of directors.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with the senior leadership team on all operational, programmatic, and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the CEO based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team, and, in partnership with the CEO, develop yearly operations plan with defined organizational goals, to reach the objectives of the strategic plan.
- Partner with CEO and other Senior Leadership Team members to lead a DEIJ-centered culture.
- Develop dashboards and reports to regularly track key organizational metrics related to program outcomes and the financial and operational health of the organization.
- In partnership with CEO and Senior Management Team, expand external relationships for Safe Haven with relevant advocacy groups and other nonprofit and governmental organizations focused on housing, poverty, and homelessness issues.
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally. Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting.
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and Safe Haven’s board of directors; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate all audit activities in coordination with Finance Director.
- Oversee HR functions for the organization including hiring policies and procedures; Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations, thus providing the most competitive packages for Safe Haven employees.
- Work with administrative staff to oversee vendor relations, record keeping, and bookkeeping functions.
- Review all formal finance, HR, program, IT (including Salesforce), and operational related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward.
- Work with the Senior Management to maximize public grant opportunities and United Way relationships and to expand revenue through new local, state, and federal funding opportunities.
- Develop and manage direct staff; manage contractors
- Engage other members of the senior management team to facilitate cross-department collaboration that ensures that all financial, IT, and HR solutions positively support Safe Haven’s evolving strategy, operational delivery, and data collection needs.
- Conduct annual operational audits to improve systems and monitor policies and effectiveness while supporting continual growth and improvement of programs and services.; Ensure operational manual and organizational and safety policies and procedures are up to date.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or related to degree preferred
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the chief executive nonprofit.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, budgeting, controls, operations, and reporting, HR, and programs.
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending operational and programmatic policies and procedures
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to lifelong learning
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills
- Strong commitment to developing team members
- Demonstrated commitment to the social sector with a passion for the organization’s mission is essential
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self -reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Passion for Safe Haven’s mission
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Work Environment: Office setting. Must be able to sit / stand for 8 hours.
- Walking, bending, light lifting up to 25 lbs.
Resumes and Cover Letters accepted until 9/25/2023.